Friday, March 16, 2012

Cream cheese brownies

Cream cheese brownies

This was supposed to be a crowd-pleasing St. Patrick's Day recipe.

See, I knew the scones wouldn't go over all that well, being as authentic (read: kinda bland) as they were. So when I came across this recipe, I figured the week before St. Patrick's Day would be a good time for some totally inauthentic baking, too. And who doesn't love Irish cream? Heck, who doesn't love boozy baked goods?

Except that the Baileys doesn't come across here, not that I can taste, and I can usually pick up liquor flavors very easily. All I taste is a cream cheese-swirled brownie, a pretty darn good one, I must say, so I'd totally recommend this recipe, but I didn't get any Irish out of these at all, just yummy chocolate and cheesecake flavors. Maybe it needs more Baileys -- that might be worth trying. Or you could just appreciate these for what they are, which isn't Irish but is still delicious.

Cream Cheese Brownies
Adapted from Wee Kitchen


1 c butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 c sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt

16 ounces cream cheese
1/3 c sugar
1 egg
3 tbsp Baileys Irish Cream

1. Melt the butter and chocolate together (I use the microwave, stopping to stir occasionally). Stir to combine and set aside.
2. Beat the sugar and eggs together until fluffy.
3. Whisk together the flour and salt, then beat a bit at a time into the sugar mixture. Fold in the chocolate mixture.
4. Beat together the cream cheese and sugar, then beat in the egg and Irish cream.
5. In a greased 9-by-13 pan, pour half of the brownie batter, then all of the cream cheese, spreading it out over the whole pan, then the rest of the brownie batter. Swirl together with a knife.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Let cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment